According to HUNT, the 48 LIMITLESS AERO Disc wheelset is the most aerodynamic model with a rim depth of up to 50 mm. We took a closer look at the latest development from the UK brand.
Headed by aerospace engineer Luisa Grappone, the HUNT development team must have locked itself up in the wind tunnel for a long time. The starting point of the new wheelset was the hypothesis that wider tires and wider rims are faster – to a certain extent. It is important to consider the combination of tire and rim as one system, say HUNT. Accordingly, the LIMITLESS concept was developed in close cooperation with Schwalbe. The result is a completely new wheel design, which supposedly offers the perfect solution for two existing problems:
- Increase of the inside rim width from 24 to 25 mm = lose compatibility with tires from 23 to 25 mm wide
- Increase the wall thickness of the carbon rim to maintain optimal aerodynamics = increase rim weight
What sets this rim apart?
The HUNT 48 LIMITLESS AERO disc rim consists of 2 carbon rings. The first ring has a recess at the height of the rim base, which is filled with a preformed polymer. Structurally irrelevant, the polymer has a low density of only 0.7 g per cubic centimetre – the average material density of carbon, in contrast, is 1.6 g per cubic centimetre. The second ring is placed over the polymer filled recess and is fused with the rim flanges in a separate mould, so it doesn’t bear any weight by itself. According to HUNT, this construction method offers the optimal balance of aerodynamics and weight.
The specs of the HUNT 48 LIMITLESS Disc wheelset
- LIMITLESS rim: 22.5 mm internal width, 35 mm rim width, 48 mm rim depth, designed for disc brakes, unidirectional T24/30-Carbon, tested in a wind tunnel
- Tires: aerodynamically optimised for tire widths from 25C to 28C, tubeless-ready, hook design, compatible with all tire models
- FastEngage 7.5 hubs: straight-pull, center-lock, freewheel engagement 7.5° via 48 tooth ratchet system
- CeramicSpeed bearings: extremely low friction ceramic bearings
- Elliptical wing spokes: 20 spokes, pillar wing design
- Axles factory configurable, all standards available: 9 mm QR or 12 mm Thru-Axle up front / 9 mm QR, 12 x 142, 12 x 135 or 10 x 135 Thru-Axle at the rear
- Included in the delivery: tubeless tape and valves, spare spokes, spoke wrench, axle adapter, 6-bolt rotor adapter
- Weight: 1,582 g
- Price: € 1,481.96
- Availability: available now on the Hunt website
- Detailed specifications are available here
According to HUNT, the concept has proven itself through extensive testing in the wind tunnel when compared to the world’s leading wheelsets. All technical details of the wind tunnel test methodology, including comparison data and graphics of all wheelsets tested, can be found in the HUNT White Paper. We’re looking forward to testing the HUNT 48 LIMITLESS AERO Disc wheelset in real-world conditions! The accessibility of the research results and the test methodology seems very promising.
For more information visit huntbikewheels.cc
Did you enjoy this article? If so, we would be stoked if you decide to support us with a monthly contribution. By becoming a supporter of GRAN FONDO, you will help secure a sustainable future for high-quality cycling journalism. Click here to learn more.
Words & Photos: